Former Arlington Large Faculty volleyball mentor Anita Boeck and Community Belief Sports activities Editor Roger Merriam just about every obtained honors not long ago during the South Dakota High School Coaches Association’s 51st yearly awards banquet.
The banquet was held at the Mitchell Highland Meeting Heart.
Boeck, who accrued additional than 700 wins as Arlington’s volleyball coach from 1990 by means of 2019, was inducted into the SDHSCA Hall of Fame together with Mark Wendelgass of Huron, Bob Sittig of Baltic, Laverne Diede of Freeman, Richard J. “Doc” Michel of Immediate City and Jerry Rhodes Sr. of Philip.
Corridor of Fame Inductees
• Boeck compiled a 731-247-10 file at Arlington and led to the Cardinals to 14 conference championships, 14 state tournament appearances, six runner-up finishes and the 2010 state B championship.
She been given numerous coaching awards through her career and was inducted into the South Dakota Volleyball Coaches Association Corridor of Fame in 2015.
• Wendelgass invested his entire 35-calendar year occupation in Huron as a trainer, coach and athletic-functions director and continues to officiate observe and area fulfills all above South Dakota. He served as the head boys and ladies track and discipline mentor at Huron for 15 decades and led the Tigers to 4 Eastern South Dakota Meeting championships and 4 runner-up and 5 third-location finishes in point out Course AA fulfills.
He has been inducted into the South Dakota Cross State and Track and Area Coaches Affiliation Hall of Fame, South Dakota Interscholastic Athletic Administrators Association Corridor of Fame and Huron Large School Athletic Hall of Fame along with receiving numerous other awards.
• Sittig has expended 43 decades as a trainer, mentor and administrator in Baltic. He coached basketball at some stage for 35 decades, which includes a 17-calendar year stint as the head mentor of the girls’ program that developed a 299-96 record with 9 conference, 10 district, seven area and five state Course B championships (1995, 1996, 1998, 2001 and 2003).
Baltic’s 1996 workforce set, and nonetheless retains, the national women basketball report for subject-intention capturing percentage in a period. Sittig was named the South Dakota Basketball Mentor of the Calendar year in 1995 and 2001 and the Augustana Alumni Coach of the 12 months in 1996.
• Diede, a Scotland indigenous, was a pioneer in South Dakota higher faculty girls sporting activities and a chief in supporting them get set up in the 1970s and over and above. She was a teacher, mentor and administrator for much more than 40 yrs in Delmont, Marion and Freeman. She was specifically concerned in women track and led Freeman’s women to the 1977 condition Course A championship and runner-up finishes in 1975 and 1976.
She was regarded as the SDHSCA’s Ladies Monitor and Industry Mentor of the 12 months in 1976 and is a member of the SDCCTFCA Hall of Fame.
• Michel graduated from Northwestern Lutheran Substantial University in Mobridge in 1957 and served 4 yrs in the United States Navy just before graduating from Black Hills Point out University in 1970. That fall he was employed as a business schooling teacher in advance of becoming talked into getting the “sports activities coach” by Quick Town Stevens athletic director Carold Heier.
Michel obtained the distinguished nickname “Doc” during a 47-year time period in which he was a coach and/or trainer for 51 state substantial college championship teams. He also obtained many awards in his occupation and was inducted into the Speedy City Sports Hall of Fame in 2003.
• Rhodes, a 1964 Presho High College graduate, appreciated a far more than 40-year career as a instructor, coach and athletic director in Pine Ridge, Kimball and Philip. He coached soccer, basketball, cross nation and observe and subject.
Just one of his most significant highlights arrived in monitor when he guided Philip’s boys to the 2010 state Course B championship and was named the Boys Track and Subject Coach of the Yr. He drafted the proposal for condition-qualifying observe and subject fulfills for folks and relays.
Other unique award winners integrated Merriam and Barb Haberling of Miller, Groton native and longtime Mitchell volleyball coach Deb Thill and previous Hamlin teacher-coach-athletic director Wayne Carney.
Merriam and Haberling each and every obtained 2022 Jerry P. Miller Distinguished Company Awards for exceptional contributions and perseverance to the highest and finest in higher college athletics.
• Merriam, a Huron indigenous, has used 40 years covering higher school as a sports writer in South Dakota like the very last 38 at the Watertown Public Opinion.
• Haberling, a Wessington indigenous who played basketball and softball at Northern Point out College, invested 17 years working with large faculty pursuits in Miller and the past 15 operating for the South Dakota Substantial College Activities Association.
• Thill obtained the 2022 Max Hawk Award, which was made to realize and honor excellent leadership, contributions and determination of assistance to the SDHSCA. She has put in 31 yrs as the only head coach in the heritage of Mitchell High School’s volleyball method whilst also serving as a women basketball and track and subject mentor.
• Carney earned the Energy of Impact Award. The award, in honor of Bryan Brewer, recognizes and honors the good affect, vision, leadership and commitment to advertising athletics, lecturers and the arts amid South Dakota learners of all races.
Carney, who guided Hamlin to the 1983 point out B boys basketball title, labored in superior faculty athletics as coach, athletic director and referee for a lot of several years and also served as the govt director of the South Dakota Significant School Activities Affiliation from 2001-2017.
Coaches of the 12 months
Also honored throughout the banquet had been the tumble 2021, wintertime 2021-22 and spring 2022 condition significant college coaches of the year.
Tumble 2021 coaching winners include Holly Evans of Chamberlain, girls cross country Tom McGough of Miller, boys cross place Misty Mousseaux Begay of Lakota Tech, cheer Ashley Hoffman of Brandon Valley, dance Cori Bonte of Sioux Falls Roosevelt, girls soccer Dave Dannenbring of Yankton, boys soccer Brandon White of Harrisburg, soccer and Dennis Northrup of Garretson, volleyball.
Wintertime 2021-2022 coaching winners contain Derek Outland of Brandon Valley, wrestling Maridee Dossett of Madison, gymnastics Molly Mason of Viborg-Hurley, women basketball Mitch Begeman of Sioux Falls Roosevelt, boys basketball.
Karen Karim of Custer, ladies observe and industry Misty Larson of Chester Space, boys observe and area Billie Jo Indahl of Burke, women golf Brett Sime of Yankton, boys’ golf and Ryan Hage of Yankton, tennis acquired spring 2022 coaching honors.
Doug Duncan of Ipswich (center university-junior high), Jeff Schlekeway of Pierre (boys sports) and Darcy Deinert of Mount Vernon-Plankinton (women sports) each obtained assistant coach of the 12 months honors along with Julie Eppard of Chester Location (athletic director of the 12 months) and Marc Murren of Sioux Falls (official of the 12 months).