There are probably very few such persons who have not been infected by the influenza or the flu virus at some point in their life. This is a viral infection of the lungs and the airways. The common symptoms include cough, cold, runny nose, fever and ache all over the body. The flu season typically extends from November to March.
Influenza is highly contagious. That is the reason why thousands of people fall sick with flu every year. It is important to know some basic flu prevention tips so that you reduce the possibility of catching this disease as much as possible.
10 tips to prevent flu
Here are ten basic tips that you can follow to prevent flu:
1. Get the yearly flu vaccine at the beginning of the flu season every year. People who are at high risk like children, old people, health care workers, people recovering from serious illnesses and pregnant women should never skip the flu vaccine.
2. Wash your hands thoroughly, preferably with warm water and soap in order to get rid of the flu virus. Surfaces may contain flu virus which remain viable for up to 48 hours. So, it is necessary to wash your hands to prevent infection. Good quality hand sanitizers can be used if soap is not available.
3. Maintain your personal space. Try to keep a distance of about six feet between you and other persons – especially if they exhibit symptoms of flu.
4. It is necessary to protect your mouth, nose and eyes during the flu season because these are the entry points of the infection. So, avoid touching your face as much as possible.
5. Raw garlic is probably one of the most effective natural remedies used in flu prevention. Chew the raw garlic or smear your nasal cavity with garlic juice as preventive measures.
6. Take some elementary precautions to prevent cross infection. Avoid using shared objects like utensils while wipe other surfaces lie phones and keyboards.
7. Drink plenty of fluids as it is necessary to prevent dehydration in order to prevent flu. You can also drink green tea as it is known to inhibit the progress of influenza.
8. Reduce smoking and alcohol consumption. These decrease the efficiency of your immune system and you will find yourself to be more susceptible to flu.
9. Proper ventilation of the room and airing out of the upholstery, curtains and bed linens are essential steps in flu prevention.
10. Healthy diet consisting of plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables and yoghurt with a moderate regime of exercise helps to provide a boost to your immune system and prevent the occurrence of flu.
Take steps to avoid spreading flu to others
If you fall prey to influenza in spite of these measures, you should take precautions that you do not contaminate others. Cover your nose and mouth when you sneeze or cough. It is best to take a day off from work so that you do not spread the disease among your colleagues.